CBD, the active compound of CBD oil, is a popular subject of research because of its unique interaction with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS).
*For context, the ECS provides support in regulating many processes in our bodies.
With the advent of free published research online, you might think you know all the facts about CBD oil. However, there are several facts about CBD oil that might surprise you.
1. CBD is not psychoactive
THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is one of the best known compounds in the cannabis plant. It is psychoactive, meaning it makes you feel “high”.
CBD is the sibling compound of THC. Although both are found in the same cannabis plant, CBD is non-psychoactive.
As THC binds with the ECS CB1 receptors, it causes “high” or that distinctively euphoric feeling. On the other hand, CBD binds to the CB2 receptors and therefore does not provoke psychotropic effects, but it does provide many other beneficial effects.
2. There are different types of CBD oil
There are several CBD formulas on the market that can be categorized as:
● Full Spectrum: As a full-spectrum formula, the CBD oil can contain other cannabinoids, terpenes, and traces of THC.
● Broad Spectrum: The content is like the full-spectrum formula, but without the THC products. It might contain other cannabinoids besides CBD, so it is usually referred to as broad spectrum.
● Isolate: This formulation contains isolated CBD only. The other cannabinoids and terpenes found in hemp extract are not present.
3. CBD oil is not a one-size-fits-all substance
What works for your friend might not work for you. Therefore, be cautious about CBD oil dosing. Remember that the effectiveness of CBD depends on many factors.
● Body composition: Everyone is built differently. Your genetic makeup and metabolism respond differently to the substances or the quantity of substances you ingest.
● The formulation, dosage and concentration of the CBD oil also matter
● The administration is also another factor that affects how CBD works.
4. CBD works better with other cannabis compounds
As mentioned, there are CBD oils with formulations containing other cannabis compounds. For example, full spectrum and broad spectrum contain some of the other compounds in the cannabis extract.
The presence of other compounds in a CBD oil causes an “entourage effect”. Think of it like an orchestra – different musical instruments, when played together, produce a harmonious and melodic sound.
The same thing happens with CBD oil. When the compounds in cannabis work together, they result in a better overall effect.
5. There are several methods used for CBD oil extraction
CBD oil is derived from hemp. The process of CBD oil extraction varies across the CBD industry.
Several extraction methods, like olive-oil extraction, dry-ice extraction, cold-ethanol-alcohol extraction, sub- and super-critical CO2 extraction, and more are utilized.
Armed with these facts, be a smart consumer of CBD oil, read product labels and look for quality-assurance certifications as well.
There is still so much to learn about CBD, but what the research says so far points to its huge potential for the future of the wellness industry.
1. CBD Insider. 2020. CBD Research: A Look Into Current CBD Studies. Available at: https://thecbdinsider.com/knowledge-center/cbd-research/